Blogger Pages

Saturday 11 July 2015

To diet, or not to diet, that is the question.

Stepping into a new stage of life, meeting hundreds of new people, and making new friends has never been an easy job for me. I am the kind of person who'd stay well within her comfort zone if she only had her way. But thankfully for me, I never have my way, because I'm much more ambitious than that frog at the bottom of the well. And so, in another 4 days I start with my one-year residential Postgraduate diploma in liberal studies. At this point, I probably couldn't have asked for a better thing in my life. But guess the only thing that's been troubling me about this transition? Well...all that weight I've accumulated over the past year or two!

I tried dancing, brisk walking, Yoga, and whatnot really, but every attempt lasted only about a few days at best. After that, I'd just find a new excuse to stay home, sometimes entirely justified, sometimes not quite. And then, 10 days ago, my mom came home in the evening with printouts about a new diet she'd heard a lot about in her office. She was talking about the world famous GM diet, I soon found out. On researching some more I was pretty convinced that this was what I needed to do in order to shed some kilograms and detoxify my body at the same time.

It was essentially a one-week-long diet, where each successive day you are to eat only what is specified in the diet chart. Day 1 was all fruits (except my summer favourites, mango and litchi, of course). Day 2 exclusively vegetables. Day 3, a combination of them both. Day 4, bananas and milk. And so on until the final day. It looked doable, and didn't quite look like a crash diet to me. I was allowed to eat as much as I wanted  as long as I stuck to the list of allowed items for the specific day. And so I went for it from the very next day. I stuck to the prescribed list of items for each day, and I rarely, if ever, stray from it.


But you know what the problem with such a diet is? You cannot for the love of God eat the same thing over and over again, all through the day! I ate cucumbers and tomatoes and salad greens and sauteed broccoli and fruits and cottage cheese and sprouts and everything that was in there. But I could only ever digest a serving or two of each, fussy eater that I am. So I ended up consuming way less calories than a normal person of my age and lifestyle is expected to eat daily to maintain a healthy metabolism. I noticed changes in my weight within the first 2-3 days, which was exhilarating and incentive enough to go on with the diet. But I seldom stepped out of home that week, I slept way too much, and I generally felt weak and oppressed. By the fifth day I was on edge. I wanted it to be over as soon as possible. I'd stopped caring about how much weight I was potentially going to lose or had lost already. I'd read that the diet would make me feel light on my toes by the seventh day, but did it? I don't think so.

It may not have been a crash diet on the face of it, but it did end up being one! And so I knew it wasn't for me after all. Then, two nights ago, I came across this new thing called the Honey Diet. I was hesitant even to read it at first, but it turned out to be pretty interesting. And honestly quite ideal too.

Healthy and balanced diet - check.
Suited to Indian dietary habits - check.
Suited to every person's individual needs - check.
Expert advice and fitness tips - check.

What else do you need, really? Input your measurements on the website, calculate your BMI, enter your lifestyle details, and arrive upon your suggested diet plan. And it's certified healthy, because sugar - one of the biggest underlying causes for most people's health-related woes - is entirely replaced by honey, a sweeter and infinitely healthier alternative.

I think the honey diet is what I'm going to try out next. Let's see how it works for me. I'll keep you posted (or not?)

No comments:

Post a Comment