Blogger Pages

Tuesday 20 September 2011

8 of My Worst Fears

Until recently, I used to pride over the fact that I’m not afraid of anything – ghosts, vampires, lizards, cockroaches, darkness, heights or water – just any damn thing. And then I sat down to think about what to write in this third post of The 10 Day YOU Challenge series. And it hit me – I have many fears in life. I just never classified them into that specific psychological category called “fears”. But they were present all along, some mere childish, but some more deep-rooted than I would admit. So with this post, I try to come clean with the 8 major fears that lie inside of me.



1. Right from my childhood, I’ve always feared, while moving in the darkness of night across the short passageway leading to my parents’ room, that some kind of monster or the Grinch or the once-famous three-headed witch might come and whisper in my ear or try to grab me from the back. No, you were not supposed to laugh. It isn’t technically even a fear; as I mentioned above, I don’t fear ghosts. It’s more like, I’m sure this is gonna happen some or the other day, so why don’t I walk mentally prepared as to what I’ll do when something like that swoops down upon me? You can say I’m just smart.

2. I always fear, while moving about, that my cellphone will fall down. Believe it or not, but that’s a fear very dominant in my day to day life. It has happened earlier, and it really sucks, seeing your precious phone lying on the ground divided into separate pieces. So I usually hold it in a tight grip while traveling.

3. I fear loneliness. Rather I hate it. I just can’t take it. I remember this one time during my initial days in college (the one I attended only for a month before starting with my current one) when I realized how lonely I can sometimes start to feel. It was like we were a huge group of friends who used to move together. And then one day I had some work in college and the others slowly trickled away, to the market or homewards or whatever. But it was when I suddenly needed help with something and I found no one around, that I started feeling very bad. And then I started sobbing, and tried hiding the tears, which I surprisingly failed at. So I unwillingly called up a friend. They came back and consoled me, and everything was fine, but the fact is I never quite realized why I cried at that moment. Today, I know. And I just admitted it here.

4. In some direct or indirect conjugation with the last point, I fear loss. In these mere 20 years of my life I’ve lost many a loved ones. Such is life. You love a person, be it a friend or best friend or a family member or a significant other, and then you suddenly lose them to death or misunderstandings or sometimes totally inexplicable reasons. That’s when you know what loss means, and what kind of emptiness it entails for life. I still find it hard to cope with life’s losses sometimes. And I fear having to face any more of them.

5. I fear the possible consequences of not being afraid in life. In simpler words, I am very cool about most things in life. I don’t plan my life for more than two days ahead; I take my career very coolly, rather maybe a bit too non-seriously. I believe everything will set itself right; I just tread on, doing what I have to do. It’s what keeps me sane, happy and tension-free. But I fear, this approach to life might someday prove itself to be wrong at some later point in life. I might end up with a sad job, meager salary or who knows not even that. But then again, this fear is only a latent one. If I fretted over this so much, I wouldn’t be living the kind of tension-free life I do.

6. I am always afraid of falling over the edge of the Ram/Lakshman Jhoolas into the holy water of the Ganges whenever I visit the sacred city of Rishikesh. I don’t know if it’s plain fear, or a case of realization of all the sins I’ve ever committed, thereby fearing I might be punished for them by being flung over the bridge by some unseen force into the river. Far-fetched, I know.

7. I fear losing all my good friends one day. Rather some day very soon. A few friends have been trying to convince me that this will never happen, but I can’t shake off this feeling, try as I may. I already feel distant from some of the very friends I would otherwise survive on. I just hope this fear is temporary and futile.

8. I fear the day I’ll have to be separated from my mother. I don’t know whether it’ll be harder for me or for her. But it’s the one fear that has been haunting me very regularly of late.

There, you know a very significant part of ME now. No, seriously. If you know a person's likes, secrets and fears, you can easily predict a large part of that person's character and temperament, as far as I believe. Confessing my fears took a lot of courage and self-belief. And I feel good. :)

Don't forget to share your thoughts and fears! :) And also remember to leave me the links to your 10 Day YOU Challenge posts, if you happen to write any!

19 comments:

  1. Well another applaud deserving Blog from you meeouww.. :)
    The 3rd point was too emotional and heart touching...and it has shown me a new side of yours !
    Great Going \m/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Keshav - Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yea...here's the link to my BLOG where i am also taking up this Challenge and completed the DAY 2 today...Hope this comment may advertise my BLOG here among your followers ! :P
    http://keshav-huria.blogspot.com/
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. And guess what...this time around,I am the first one to comment here on your post...unlike other posts where some anonymous friends of yours win the race :P (although i never compete)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol...not just first, but all three initial comments are yours. :P Well done! :P
    And I do hope you get the exposure your blog post needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea,rightly said !
    All Angel's followers please have a look into this male angel's blog too :P
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Admirer
    Well there aren't any words lassy. U are outgoing yourself with each post in this series.
    Mind blowing!
    I share some of ur fears- that witch swooping down to u, has been a constant one for me. I so totally avoid looking down from heights, fear of drowning and being gobbled up by sharks. Fear from snakes and reptiles. :-)
    I fear the loss of people too, have lost many a friend who were brother like to time and distance .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Admirer,

    Thank you so much!
    I don't really fear reptiles or snakes, but indeed I would detest their crawling around or on me. Ewww...it's hard to imagine. :-/
    Plus I know a bit of swimming, and in general love water. And sharks seem far-flung but yes, scary!

    Am glad you liked this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angel,

    You are getting better with each going post. People often say face your fears to overcome them. But the main problem is identifying them. It requires a great amount of efforts and introspection. And to accept your fears publicly requires a lot of courage and truthfulness.
    You have done a great job. Hats off to you. :)

    P.S. Don't mind but some of the 8 fears are really funny. All in all, it was a great post.

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keshav,

    It's never about who comments first. That is just a matter of chance. Yesterday it was Anonymous, today it's you and tomorrow it'd be someone else. The main thing is that some people really enjoy reading her(Angel) and wait for the posts.

    P.S. The purpose of your comments was served. I visited your blog. Couldn't you find a better image for your "My SECRETS!" post? Moreover, you have a long way to go. You need to learn of art of telling. Though I'd suggest if you are more into music, concentrate on that. Thanks. :)

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous,

    Thank you soo much for that! :)
    I know which ones you found funny, and indeed I had meant them to be funny. Every post of mine must have its share of hilarity, methinks. :D
    And thank you for the feedback on Keshav's blog. Upto an extent I agree with your opinion. Hope he does too. :)

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angel,

    The pleasure's all on this side of the screen. ;) I agree that almost every post of yours has a bit of humor attached. This is what makes it more readable and enjoyable. Keep rocking. :)
    The reason I commented about Keshav's blog on your blog is that he doesn't allow Anonymous comments. Keshav, hope you get the message. :)

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous,

    I maintain what I've said earlier, that a blog is made worthy by the feedback it gets. Communication is a two way mechanism. If you get good stuff to read, you appreciate it, and if I get appreciation, I'm motivated to write better. Thus we work as a team. :)
    So, keep rocking yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. XD Need I explain? lol

    As for the post, it brings about so many different emotions. Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. CB,

    Haha! I so knew you'd gimme that XD! Saw the other one? Do!
    And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. DId that already :D You were right.. hilarios JFL XD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol...stay tuned in for more JFL stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay! First of all..a question!
    How the hell can you not fear lizards? ..:-/..They're creepy! :(

    Knowing your fears and acknowledging not necessarily to anyone but to yourself is the thing which gives you the courage to actually fight those fears! Nobody in this world achieved what they achieved without knowing their deepest fears!Most of the people can't categorize and recognize the fears they have! So if you know it! I think it's for good! :)

    Cheers to you for gathering up the courage to share all this! and that too in such a superb way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amar,

    LOL! It is a fact that I don't have a particular liking for these creepy crawly things. But unlike some darpok people (:P), I don't FEAR them.

    And as you rightly said, to recognize your fears and muster the courage to admit them is the first step towards being able to face, and then conquer them. Thank you. :)

    Looking forward to your posts in this series!

    ReplyDelete