Blogger Pages

Thursday 20 September 2012

From the writer's bookshelf...

Isn't the feel of a brand new book in your hands like the best feeling ever? *sigh*

So I finally caught hold of Narcopolis. Yes, I mean the book by Indian poet and writer Jeet Thayil that has been shortlisted along with 5 other world-class titles for this year's Man Booker Prize. *yayyy* You see, I have this fetish for Indian Booker prize winner books. The White Tiger, Midnight's Children, The God of Small Things, The Inheritance of Loss - you name it and I've read it. This one was gonna be no exception then, was it? I am very (VERY) eager to read it.



Though I am currently feasting my senses (literally!) on Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Now I don't say this often, with only about a handful of books that have ever had a profound, lasting effect on me, but this book is so going on to my list of favorites. It isn't even a book in the true sense - it's a phenomenon. I could just go on and on about how amazing, thought-provoking and at times really heart-wrenching Shantaram is. But I shall reserve any further of my praises for it until I finish reading. A review will hopefully be up here by the end of next week.

Other few of my latest literary acquisitions - on my to-read list in the coming weeks - are an assortment of my varied interests. For example, The Laws of the Spirit World by Khorshed Bhavnagiri is a book that describes the spiritual journey of an elderly Parsi couple who lose both of their young sons and are devastated, until they see the true spiritual path towards redemption. The Krishna Key, by Ashwin Sanghi, on the other hand is an expression of my recently acquired love for Indian historical fiction. And who better than Ashwin Sanghi to do justice to the genre! I've read his Chanakya's Chant, and parts of The Rosabal Line as well, and have high expectations of his latest title. So keep watching this space for reviews and a lot more on books!


Also, in another, totally unrelated news, I'm leaving for Jaipur tomorrow to attend a cousin's wedding over the weekend. And I found myself wondering - Jaipur, Udaipur and other such cities in Rajasthan have in recent times become a favorite choice for couples to get married in. Why is that? Is it really because of the exotic forts and gardens that they offer for the wedding location - the ceremonial venues that seem to have been taken right out of the pages of Indian history? OR! Is it because wedding arrangements, venues and catering are much less expensive there than they are in Delhi? Do tell me if any one of you has figured this out already. :P

9 comments:

  1. Jaipur personally seems to have a charm associated to it, as if bonds made there with blessings and love are never meant to break. It has that Royal feel to it, as most of the women imagine their day to be. Maybe thats why. :)

    Shantaram is one of the best books ever. And Indian Historical fiction is enchating. I have read Chanakya's Chant, ZI feel that is the best of Ashwin Sanghvi's all written books. I often feel how similar the condition of current issues similar to the ones told in that book, especially the coal allocation blocks thing. I also recommend reading Immortals of Meluha Trilogy. Its very different take on Mythology. Like how Shiva gets smitten by Sati, its like a modern love story with compelling fiction written on Gods and their journey if they were humans. Do let me know how Narcopolis is. And happy journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good and fluid as usual, I was a little disappointed when I read White tiger though, yet to read the other ones.

    Shantaram is that great? Heard that its slow actually. I know people who have lost interest midway.

    Anyway will have a look, so you going for cousin's marriage or in search for a venue for yourself? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, I have read the God of Small Things, and the Inheritance of Loss. So wanted to read Shantaram, but havn't been able to lay my hands on it yet. White Tiger is ironical, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sumit - Seems like a legit explaation, Sumit-style. :)

    Chanakya's Chant is indeed Sanghi's best work so far. And I've read the Meluha trilogy already. Loved it. Just waiting for the third and final title in the series. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Harshal - I was not a little, but quite disappointed with The White Tiger. I somehow did not feel it worthy of a Nobel Prize.

    Shantaram is a journey..slow at a few places, really fast at others. You should definitely read it once! :)

    And you got me - I'd indeed gone to look for a veue for myself. Didn't find any, alas :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sudeep - Shantaram is much better than The God of Small Things and especially The Inheritance of Loss. The White Tiger again, I didn't find too impressive. As you rightly put, it was somehow quite ironical.

    Do go for Shantaram, it won't disappoint you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard a lot about Shantaram, and everything I have heard has only increased my expectations. There's a time to sow, and a time to reap. Every book I have read, somehow there's an invisible thread connected to it, which makes up for a compelling story in itself.

    I have also wanted to start Indian mythology, there's so much thought into it than just the story itself. Especially with Amish Tripathi and Devdutt Patnaik reviving the genre these days, my curiosity has only gotten stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh...my my! almost all of my fav ones out there! God of Small things, Inheritance of Loss, and SHANTARAM! The last one, you rightly said, is not a book but a phenomenon. I couldn't sleep for days on end after reading it.

    I have just finished reading The Krishna Key and its another master piece. Bowled over. Looking forward to writing its review shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ghata - Hehehe...actually, except for Midnight's Children, I didn't particularly like any of the books I mentioned in the first para. :P

    Some of my favorites are listed here: http://welcometomyparadise-angel.blogspot.in/p/what-i-read.html :)

    I shall wait for your review of the Krishna Key..uske baad hi padhungi. ;)

    ReplyDelete