Blogger Pages

Monday 8 October 2012

My First Poem

I'm sure the title gives you a fair idea of what is going to follow, but for the sake of literary congruence - I'm all nostalgic today. And that I am pretty often these days, ain't I? Well, what to say...I just miss those days when I was a little happy kid with no serious issues or hassles, no real responsibilities or heartbreak in life. I would laugh innocently, play all day, study as if it was a storybook I was reading and cry only to get people's attention. But then, don't we all miss those times every now and then? :)

So today, while I was sitting all alone, pondering over where my life has brought me and where I'm headed, what else but the first poem that I ever wrote just decided to make an appearance inside my head. I thought I'd share it with you all, even if for nothing else but the sheer embarrassment at its randomness and my weird little imagination.


(Disclaimer: I don't remember how old I was when I penned it down, but I couldn't have been any older than 7-8 I'd say.)

The Funny Man

There was a man
Who slept in a pan
He ate fruit peels
And rode on seals.

Once he caught an animal
And thought it was a hare
But when he went back home
He saw it was a bear.

Wasn't he a funny man?
The man who slept in a pan!

*phew* That was liberating. Cute, wasn't it? :P But for someone who dreams of being a Booker prize-winning writer someday, 7-8 years is a tad too late to start writing, don't you think? Not really for me. Because I was always more of a story person than a poem one. I started writing stories of my own almost as soon as I learnt to make sentences. Before that, I used to make up stories in my head using common objects I could see around me (eg. A scooter, a lizard or a chapati) and narrate them in whatever little language I knew, to anyone who was willing to be entertained. And boy did I not have a huge audience! I do hear I was very cute back then. Just wish I could revisit those days and see myself as a puny little kid with curly black hair and mischievous eyes. :)

PSST...now that we're at it, why not take a look at the little 'me' that I've been talking on and on about?

Well...all thoughtful and pensive at an early age - that would be me.

And THAT would be the usually happy, super excited and mischievous me. :D

14 comments:

  1. 1) You look cute in those baby pics.

    2) the poem is amazingly hilarious.

    3) its never too late to pursue your dream. Boman Irani started his acting career when he was 40 plus.

    4) Carry your childhood with you, but dont wish it back. You would have to start studying all over again!

    5) You still look cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. sure, he was a funny man.. who slept in a pan... very nice for the first one. :)

    cheers!

    Being Traveler | Himanshu Nagpal

    http://www.beingtraveler.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the second pic looks more like u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sudeep - Thank you so much. That comment made me feel so good. :)

    @Himanshu - Thank you. Cheers! :)

    @Abby - They're two contrasting pictures. But still me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness!! That little girl is so scholastically thoughtful.. Seeing through her dreams :). And, that signature smile of yours, looks really good on u, don't let it drown in tears :)..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amul - Thank you so much. It's good to know someone out there is ready to pick up the pieces and put them together like you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the poem is so funny and loved your bachpan ka pics - you look damn cute :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you write that poem when you were 7 or 8? it is funny, cute and beautiful. I am sure you will win Booker one day. Nice post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @win2vin - Thank you so much. Glad you think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha.. hilarious poem :D
    The Booker is just the beginning.. aim higher !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Roshan - Thank you so much! And you're right. But you see, as I go on maturing as a writer, my aim goes on escalating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never understood heavy poetry anyway. This, on the other hand, almost moved me to tears. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad I could do that to you Mr. Mustafi. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete