Blogger Pages

Saturday 24 September 2011

My 4 Most Loved Books of All Time


Books - my first and last love! But seriously, am I expected to sum up my all-consuming love for books in just FOUR titles? This is sheer torture. Selecting any 4 of my favorite books would be blasphemy towards them. And yet, such is life, such are challenges. They're always meant to challenge you in every way possible. So here they are, the 4 titles that I declare to be my favorite books of all time (in no particular order).


1. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
If you knew the number of pages this book has got (which is 1350, by the way), you wouldn't believe that I've read it twice. I just adore this book. It's a modern classic, with every single aspect of everyday life, the situations and relationships woven into the narrative so seamlessly, you don't even notice when you become a part of the story. I recommend this one to every passionate reader out there who has some amount of patience, as it is a bit too long for the average reader to read through.

2. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Ah, what a beautiful book. It is one of the few books that have ever reduced me to tears. A lovely, poignant description of the life and people in Afghanistan and their struggles, and the plight yet dignity and loyalty of the central character of the plot - these all lend an unmatched greatness to this book. Everyone just has to read this book once in their lifetime!

3. The Glass Palace - Amitav Ghosh
This one's the latest addition to my list of favorites. It's a lovely book set part in Burma and part in India, chronicling the life and times of three generations. I'm in love with Amitav Ghosh's writing; have been ever since I read Sea of Poppies. Another two from his series are currently lined up in my to-read list.

4. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
No words are good enough to describe this classic piece by Austen. It's a classic in the true sense of the word, depicting the 19th century notions of manners, morality and marriage in a way that greatly appeals to modern readers and makes it one of the most loved books of all time. But I've met many a people who do not understand the fascination this novel holds for readers across the world. I say, if you cannot appreciate the greatness of Pride and Prejudice, you are not a literature enthusiast at all.

Now, for a book digger like me, it isn't an easy task selecting a few of my favorite books. Yet I've done it today, keeping in mind that I maintain a list of all the best books I've read, as a separate page on my blog. See my foresight? I always knew I'm smart. ;)

Reading is something I'm sure most of my dear readers surely indulge in. Do tell me your favorites, I might just get some new ideas to make additions to my to-read list! And till I write again, take care of yourself and keep reading! :)

12 comments:

  1. Well...I never had any idea about the length of A Suitable boy !!!
    Now if it's really having 1350 pages,It must be having an interesting plot...I'll surely go through it once(not twice although like u :P)...Please bring whenever we meet :)
    P.S.-as expected,again a gem of the blogs from u...nice choice of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shukoor,
    Thank you for reading. :)

    Keshav,
    I will, just remind me. And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel,

    Nice post. I don't read much except for one great blog. :D

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    Haha.. Now that's a really flattering comment. :) Thank you! But you must read at least #2 on my list. You won't regret it, trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angel,

    I'd definitely try to read that. Reading is never a waste of time. So I know I won't regret it. :)

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed! Reading never goes waste. Do read that book and let me know if you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading your blog in the reverse order, but still, you are telling a lot about yourself, and I'm loving it. :)

    This is one hard challenge to take up, and you are doing it in a commendable way. A fact that you know. I'm not the only person telling you this. A fact that I know :P

    About the books. I'm planning to start The Kite Runner, ASAP. I read the book you mentioned by Jane Austin, and I wont be verbal with my opinion. Romanticism is something I don't prefer, almost all the time.

    Keep pouring in with your string of beautiful words! :)

    Hugs,
    -Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    Haha! I so missed your awesome comments on my blog posts! Welcome back! :D
    Thank you for the appreciation, encouragement and presence, as always. :)
    And I know how greatly you feel about PnP. I'm so glad I mentioned it here. XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. O my great teacher,
    You should think about people like me also who don't read any literature. I don't have any words to comment, literally. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arun,

    Awww...I never thought I'll be getting to hear that. You don't read AT ALL? Kuchh bhi nahi? :P

    That is shameful for YOU. Mera kya kasoor isme. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mazaak kar raha tha yaar. I do read a huge amount of stuff on the Internet. It's just that I haven't read a single of the above four titles.
    And haan tera kasoor kya hoga. You can put the blame on me. :P

    ReplyDelete